
January, 18
th, 2013; the day the whistle of the oncoming
train stopped being a far off foreboding and became a full blown reality as it
tore right through the center of our home.
It barreled through these walls with such ferocity that the residents
were left strewn in all directions; deaf from the screech of steel, gasping
through choking fumes, horrified at the destruction. To those observing this event from the
bottom of the pine cone littered driveway that led to the peaceful chalet style
mountain home it was no more concerning than the ping of a smoke alarm that
needed its battery changed. After all,
he was just an 18 year old young man who had been caught smoking pot. I, his mother, however, understood fully all
that this simple act of defiance meant. I had heard the sound of this train coming for as long as I could
remember. Not every night, but many, I
would lay my head down on my pillow, and like an ear pressed against the cold
iron rail, I could hear what no one else could; the rumble of steel, far off.
This is the first post of many that will describe the journey our family has taken from "Normal" to where we find ourselves today. It is about how mental illness has changed us forever.
You have such a beautiful way of writing, Kristy. Looking forward to more. : )
ReplyDeleteWhew! Sounds like it's going to be a long and bumpy ride. This is not how I expected the journey to begin. At all. Never.
ReplyDeleteI've tried twice to be a "follower" of your blog. The technical smarts that it requires have eluded me so far. I will keep trying. Well written, my friend.
ReplyDeleteLooking forward to hearing more of the story... our stories are what make our "endings" matter and eternity our hope. I'm glad you have the words to tell your story and I'm thankful Zack is allowing us all to participate. I'm eager to hear and be changed.
ReplyDeleteYes. Just yes ... keep going.
ReplyDelete