Saturday, April 12, 2014



The following is the letter I sent to the Govenor of Colorado.  Perhaps nothing more than a therapeutic exercise, but maybe a first step in speaking out against what I believe is destroying a generation.

Dear Governor Hickenlooper,
I thought perhaps in this debate over the legalization of pot you might appreciate the perspective of a parent on the front line.  I do believe if the voices of moms and dads who understand the dangers this issue poses to our youth were heard, an overwhelming “NO” would echo down the Front Range.  My own sons are now 17 and 19, and my influence is coming to an end, but if I had young children, I sadly would say farewell to this most beloved state, escaping to safer haunts to raise my children.

As I write this letter I entertain a group of nine teenagers in my basement.  I occasionally make my presence known, bringing them snacks and staying keenly aware of what is going on in my house.  They are having a goodbye party for my eldest, because tomorrow he will be leaving for a two month stay in a residential drug rehabilitation facility.  The hell that has led us to this place I never imagined I would be called to live through, let alone survive.
Because of a sad history of addiction in our families, my husband and I determined that our house would be a “dry” house.  We have set the example for our sons that we can live a full, exciting, rich life without the help of substances legal or otherwise.  Our sons were raised in the church; private Christian schools and home schooling gave them a good supply of friends that knew how to pursue life with all the richness that Colorado promises.  These boys climbed mountains, mountain biked, rock climbed, and anything else they could dream up to do outdoors, until substance abuse lured them to an existence of simply seeking the next buzz.
Our son’s first job was at Taco Bell, where within the first week he was offered pot.  Within the first month his manager was offering him cocaine so he could close faster.  Within two months he had done acid and enough pot that he was experience psychosis on a daily basis.  Four months later at a new job was the first time he did meth, again so he could work faster.  Three months later he was doing heroin so that he could sleep. One year, that’s how long it took for our son to go from smoking pot, to doing meth and heroin.  He has been hospitalized three times in six months for suicide threats and attempts.  He has hitchhiked across the country three times either under the influence of drugs or the delusions that resulted.  During these excursions he has been held up at knife point, panhandled, slept in a park in downtown Omaha, and nearly died of dehydration while he waited six hours for a ride outside Albuquerque.
Bill Maher was recently quoted as saying, “People will realize that we can legalize pot and the world won’t come to an end in the next day or the next year.”  I say this is unfathomably shortsighted.  How long will it take for our society to reap the consequences of this?  I wonder if anyone will be keeping track of statistics such as:
1.       Increases in the number of people on welfare and food stamps.
2.       Increases in the number of children introduced to the foster care system
3.       Increases in the mental health hospitalizations.
4.       Increases in overdoses.
5.       Increases in driving under the influences of drugs and the accidents that result.
6.       Increases in the use of more dangerous drugs such as meth and heroin.
Everyone is so excited about all the tax revenue that is being brought in by this decision.  My response…it’s a good thing, because the state of Colorado is going to have a lot of things to pay for in the future! I understand that my son didn’t use a drug that was bought from a legal recreational marijuana dispensary, so why do I believe that legalization is so wrong?  It is the culture that legalization creates.  Colorado has become a drug tolerant state.  The use of marijuana is seen as the norm, and anyone who doesn’t agree has fallen off the far end of the cool chart.  Legitimization of the use of this drug by the government increases its use…legally and illegally.
In closing, I have had many thoughts about leaving Colorado in disgust.  I even did an internet search for housing in other states.  But after giving this some thought, I realized that wouldn’t be a very wise business decision.  After all, I am currently pursuing my Master’s degree in Counseling.  My prediction is that in a couple of years, business will be booming, I’ll have more clients than I know what to do with.
The people have spoken, it’s true, but is it not our government’s job to protect its citizens, especially our youth from destructive influences?  We currently are fighting obesity in children, but at the same time sabotaging their future by making drugs easier to access.  This just doesn’t make sense.  Thank you for your time and attention, I hope this one mom’s voice adds perspective to this debate.  
                                                                                                         Respectfully,
                                                                                                                         Kristen Simons

3 comments:

  1. Fantastic and poignant letter. I hope the Governor takes it to heart. Please let us all know if he responds.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hallelujah my friend. I applaud your courage, tenacity and wisdom. May God open the eyes and ears of anyone who even skims your words and let them penetrate their hearts and minds.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Awesome. Awesome. You said it so so well.

    ReplyDelete