Now that I have given a brief overview of the
backstory perhaps a detailed description of how we came to the current
crisis is in order.
Jan. 20th 2013, I approached
the family PC as I had a thousand times before, and yes, my son’s
Facebook page was open, as it had been numerous times before. Normally,
I would ignore it and close it down, but a word
leapt off the page and caught my eye; suicide. He had left an instant
message with another teenage boy open. Any thought of privacy went out
the window as I saw myself as potentially responsible for reporting any possible danger. I was admiring my son as
he was trying to talk this boy through some tough feelings, even
quoting scripture and encouraging him to reach out to God. The
conversation, however, quickly changed; the boys began to talk about a
previous interaction involving pot.
My feelings quickly shifted from admiration to devastation as the undeniable evidence unfolded before my eyes. Our son
who had been taught from an early age that his mind was precious,
beautiful, if not a bit fragile, and that he needed
to take all precautions to protect it from substance abuse, had decided
to ignore all warnings and engage in the very behavior that he had been
told would wreak havoc on his mind. Strangely, I just happened to be
on the phone with the one friend who could
talk me through these first shocking moments. She dropped everything
to be with me, and her presence was the first of many evidences of God’s
faithfulness in this journey.
The act of crying is such a strange, vulnerable
experience. Sometimes tears sneak out corners and slide down cheeks
completely against our will. We quickly wipe them away with embarrassed
swipes of our hands, looking away to avoid the
continued feeling of being laid bare. Sometimes, however, there is a
wailing that is so raw, so unprocessed that any thought of how naked and
exposed you are has been overridden by immensity of the grief. This is
where I found myself.
A prince in Austria is shot. Storm clouds gather in the Atlantic. A tendril of smoke rises in Waldo Canyon.
It is rare for us to recognize the first domino falling. I wonder why that is. Maybe it's because if we knew what lay ahead, we would give up long before we ever started? I don't know. Maybe it's just because we are supposed to live in the moment, in the mire. Maybe it's God's mercy that we know little and not too much.
ReplyDeleteI can't decide if it's a good thing...would it have changed things if I had been in denial?...I do believe it made the tough working of grieving a little faster...I faced it head on...it's part of why I am able to speak and write about it at this point.
Delete